This is my story as I stumble my way through family life

With one toddler and another new arrival on the way, this blog shares with you some of the things I see and think and also hopefully gives newer dads and dads to be some ideas based on what I did (or often, did not...) learn

Tuesday 17 August 2010

Well my great intentions of daily updates fell at the first hurdle.




I knew Saturday was expecting a bit much but of course forgot the payback for getting a full boys' day was that I get full daddy daycare duties for Sunday and also my day off on Monday (rule one there for expectant Dads- time spent on lager or sport related activities once your family is more than just the two of you comes with significant payback!)



I thought I would add another bit of wisdom for those of you who have their first baby on the way:



Our microwave broke down over the weekend which is a pain because it is unexpected expense when the wife is already buying everything and anything ahead of our new arrival BUT there is an upside.....



Two years ago the microwave which had served me so well for a decade gave up the ghost. My wife went out with my mother(I was laid up after a knee op) and replaced it. What they did not consider was how it worked; just that it was the nicest looking among the cheapest models. This microwave had a manual control which was fine of you were defrosting something for 10 minutes but a complete disaster when heating milk for baby which, it seems, goes from freezing to boiling in a matter of milliseconds at a certain point!



As a result, far too much time was spent trying to cool down overheated bottles under the tap while a screaming baby cannot understand why the milk he expected was not immediately delivered in the weeks and months after breastfeeding stopped



There was one thing therefore I knew you need as an essential function for a microwave in a house where you have a newborn but I also learnt something new this weekend....



I therefore took on the responsibility of replacing the microwave (any purchases in an electrical superstore are surely an alpha male job) and looked for one with an electronic timer. This task was duly completed with yours truly very pleased at picking up such a model at a fantastic price, a model rated no1 conventional microwave by Which to boot!



Unfortunately I was back at Comet yesterday trading up to a more expensive model which did exactly the same things. Why you ask? How wrong can you get it?

Well, what I failed to consider was that microwaves come in different sizes (they all look the same to me; it isn't as if they are a TV is it- when do you go round someone's house and talk about the size of their microwave door?) and that there was no way our bottle sterilising kit, which is the size of the iceberg which sunk the Titanic, was ever going to fit into my great little purchase. Lesson learned- you need a minimum 23l microwave if you want to sterilise bottles in it!



Which one did I buy?






Well I actually got a good little deal on a display model which is actually a combination microwave and quite handy as we only have a single oven. It is a good price for all the things it does even at its RRP of £79.99. Have a look at the Daewoo KOC9Q1T






http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/611298/DAEWOO-KOC9Q1T

No comments:

Post a Comment