This is my story as I stumble my way through family life

With one toddler and another new arrival on the way, this blog shares with you some of the things I see and think and also hopefully gives newer dads and dads to be some ideas based on what I did (or often, did not...) learn

Tuesday 18 January 2011

A bloke's view on this breast feeding malarkey

So, there seems to have been much debate over the whys and wherefore’s of breast feeding this week

As a bloke, I am not really qualified to tender much of an opinion. I know it is very much a mother’s instinct and it makes sense to me that if a mum can provide milk naturally, then there must be a good reason why they have this ability in the first place.

That said, I don’t think it is something which needs to be prescriptive; if you can do it or want to do it, great. 
If not, don’t feel the pressure that some quarters seem to want to impose. If it isn’t right for you or your baby then don’t.
We live in a modern age and modern health being as it is, babies can still get a lot of what they need from a bottle.

I have seen friends and family get stressed because they want to (or feel they ought to) be breast feeding all the time to a certain age but the baby won’t feed or isn’t enjoying it or isn’t getting enough etc etc.

My advice is if it is upsetting you or your baby, get onto a bottle, stop worrying and enjoy your baby.

V fed Ollie naturally to six months but this was mix and matched with a bottle from very early on. There were a couple of big benefits from this approach:
1. I could do at least the last feed and have a bit of quiet bonding time each night
2. Giving him a bottle last thing meant he slept through from an early age
3. He still got the benefit of natural milk but you could also be practical in the day with a bottle if needs be

Result: Ol has been a healthy, happy child up to now and we have been happy, fairly unstressed parents. We are taking the same with Joshy and so far so good (fingers crossed)

So, what is the moral of this story?
Do what feels right for you and your baby and don’t always believe the hype!

No comments:

Post a Comment