This is my story as I stumble my way through family life

With one toddler and another new arrival on the way, this blog shares with you some of the things I see and think and also hopefully gives newer dads and dads to be some ideas based on what I did (or often, did not...) learn

Sunday 9 January 2011

Child Trust Fund- a minefield; any advice?

I have just received the voucher to set Josh's CTF up.

Ollie's is in a stocks and shares policy with Childrens Mutual am I am tempted to go the same way again but figure I ought to check out the options before doing so.

I started this little quest though and realised that it is a minefield. Loads of providers and no reliable review sites. The only reviews I can find around share based funds are ridiculous; people who invested two years ago and are "disappointed" that the policy is not making them money; what do they expect?

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews88778.html

a. it is a long term investment which doesn't even become touchable until the child is 18
b. we are in challenging economic times so funds are finding dramatic returns a little challenging at the mo..

I am also wondering if I even bother with onward investment into the CTF; would I be better off investing on a more regular basis for the boys in a child's ISA or such like?

If anyone can offer me some words of wisdom, it would be much appreciated?

No comments:

Post a Comment