This is my story as I stumble my way through family life

With one toddler and another new arrival on the way, this blog shares with you some of the things I see and think and also hopefully gives newer dads and dads to be some ideas based on what I did (or often, did not...) learn

Thursday 10 February 2011

Where do you draw the line in getting toddlers to stand up for themselves?

Ollie came home from nursery today and said he had been pushed over.

Aside from the fact that he couldn't make his mind up whether it was a teacher(?!) or another kid, I know he shouldn't just accept it.
My dilemma is what he should do: it is all very well saying that he should tell a teacher and let them deal with it but that will only get him so far as he grows older. If he does he will be seen as a snitch, tell tale and much worse and is likely to attract more trouble if he tells every time something happens he doesn't like

BUT we can't encourage him (much as I would like to) to get him to push the other kid back again as otherwise he will become a bully

Ohh, the confusion of being a parent!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment